- ISIPT membership required; membership must be renewed annually to maintain certification.
- Completion of terminal degree in field (including but not limited to: M.S.W, M.Sc. (Clinical Counseling), M.D., M.A. (Marriage and Family Therapy), M.S.N. (Psychiatric Nursing), Psy.D. (Clinical Psychology), and Ph.D.
- Completion of a specific trainer’s training (note: this criterion may be waived at the discretion of the committee, for instance if the trainer did not have access to this type of program in their region or became a trainer before these programs were widely available).
- Experience providing IPT training.
- Led or co-led at least a total of 100 hours of IPT teaching in clinical IPT training workshops (which can include introductory, intermediate or advanced levels) and/or in an IPT academic course and/or IPT research study (100 hours can be in one or over multiple settings). A list of dates, places of trainings and/or academic institutions must be provided.
- Cover letter (no longer than two pages) providing rationale for applying for ISIPT Trainer Certification.
- Image of a government issued identification.
- Letter of recommendation from another IPT trainer or expert colleague who has observed the applicant’s work and can provide feedback on training competencies.
- Set of training materials or course syllabi that cover accepted core IPT concepts used for at least one training; and a brief narrative (1-2 paragraphs) describing how active and experiential learning is integrated with IPT trainings.
- Evidence of at least eight two-day IPT training workshops or at least 100 hours of academic IPT teaching.
- Proof of completion of trainer’s training if available.
Maintenance of Certification
- All trainers will need to recertify every five years.
- Applications can be submitted through the ISIPT member portal.
- Trainers due to recertify will be sent a reminder of their recertification one year prior to the end date of their certification.
- Trainers are required to submit documentation of three trainings over the last five years or a minimum of eight hours of training workshops that have helped maintain training skills, knowledge and experience since certification.
- Trainers must have maintained their membership in ISIPT over the previous five years.
- Trainers must have maintained their professional license or credentials.
- Application made online. There will be annual application period(s), date(s) TBD posted on www.interpersonalpsychotherapy.org.
- Payment for certification will be required at the time of submission. Regardless of the outcome of the application, no refunds will be offered.
- Full application will be reviewed by the ISIPT Certification Committee.
- Notification to candidate will occur 8-12 weeks after the submission deadline.
- For information about the final round of legacied Supervisor and Trainer certifications, click here.(deadline for submission May 6, 2022)
Fees (following final round of legacied certification)
- Trainer Certification: $450 USD
- Fee Waivers may be offered to therapists from World Bank Lower-Middle and Lower Income countries by written request to firstname.lastname@example.org