- ISIPT membership required; membership must be renewed annually to maintain certification.
- Completion of terminal degree in field (including but not limited to: M.S.W, M.Sc. (Clinical Counseling), M.D., M.A. (Marriage and Family Therapy), M.S.N. (Psychiatric Nursing), Psy.D. (Clinical Psychology), and Ph.D. or hold a clinical license or credential appropriate for candidates’ field and geographic region.
- Minimum of 150 hours of supervised training in therapy provision and be license-eligible within two years.
- Minimum of 16 hours (equivalent of two days) of introductory IPT training workshop or equivalent of IPT didactic and/or experiential learning (coursework) by an ISIPT endorsed trainer (e.g. ISIPT certified trainer/supervisor or equivalent); includes reading an ISIPT recommended manual (a list will be provided). Documentation of activity completion must be provided.
- Completion of at least three supervised cases representing early, middle and late sessions, each by ISIPT endorsed supervisor.
- Cover letter no longer than two pages, providing any information that will support the criteria for ISIPT Therapist Certification.
- Image of a government issued identification.
- Attestation of completion of three supervised cases representing early, middle and late sessions, completed by the applicant and verified by an ISIPT endorsed supervisor. Note: The attestation must be sufficiently detailed to allow the committee to assess the applicant’s experience using IPT. The attestations should include a brief description of each patient’s/client’s presenting problem, case conceptualization, course of IPT treatment, IPT techniques/strategies used, and outcome.
- The attestation of 3 supervised cases should be signed by both the applicant and applicable IPT supervisor(s).
- Letter of recommendation from an IPT endorsed supervisor or trainer or equivalent (i.e. supervisor or trainer from another certifying organization) who has observed the applicant’s work and can provide feedback on his/her/their IPT therapy competencies. Note: The letter from your supervisor(s) should be sufficiently detailed to allow the committee to assess your competency as an IPT therapist. The letter must include information about the number of cases and hours of supervision per case, IPT problem areas that were the focus of treatment, method of evaluation (e.g., review of audio-recorded sessions, case discussions) and method of assessment for competency in use of IPT techniques and strategies. Checklists or insufficiently detailed letters will not be accepted.
- Documentation of 16 hours or more of IPT training workshops or other didactics as listed above.
*Requirements are for the November 2022 submission process. Eligibility requirements are subject to change in future certification periods.
Maintenance of Certification
- All therapists will need to recertify every five years.
- Applications must be submitted through the ISIPT.org website.
- Therapists due to recertify will be sent a reminder of their recertification one year prior to the end date of their certification.
- Therapists are required to submit documentation of participation in 40 hours of IPT training over the past five years that have helped maintain IPT skills, knowledge and experience since certification.
- Therapists must have maintained their membership in ISIPT over the previous five years.
- Therapists must have maintained their professional license or credentials.
- Application will be made online.
- Deadline for applications is November 15, 2022.
- Payment for certification will be required at the time of submission. Regardless of the outcome of the application, no refunds will be offered.
- Full application will be reviewed by ISIPT certified Trainers and Supervisors.
- Notification to candidate will occur 10-12 weeks after the submission deadline.
- Therapist Certification: $250 USD
- Fee Waivers may be offered to therapists from World Bank Lower-Middle and Lower Income countries by written request to firstname.lastname@example.org