- ISIPT membership required; membership must be renewed annually to maintain certification.
- Completion of terminal degree in field (including but not limited to: M.S.W, M.Sc. (Clinical Counseling), M.D., M.A. (Marriage and Family Therapy), M.S.N. (Psychiatric Nursing), Psy.D. (Clinical Psychology), and Ph.D. or holds a clinical license or credential appropriate for candidates’ field and geographic region.
- A minimum of 150 hours of supervised training in therapy provision and be license-eligible within two years.
- Minimum of 16 hours (equivalent of 2 days) of introductory IPT training workshop or equivalent of IPT didactic and / or experiential learning (coursework) by an ISIPT endorsed trainer (e.g. ISIPT trainer / supervisor certified or equivalent) ; includes reading an ISIPT recommended manual (a list will be provided). Documentation of activity completion must be provided.
- Completion of at least three supervised cases representing early, middle and late sessions, each by ISIPT endorsed supervisor.
- Letter by endorsed supervisor describing the quality of IPT clinical skills.
- Cover letter no longer than two (2) pages, providing any information that will support the criteria for ISIPT Therapist Certification.
- Image of a government issues identification.
- A letter of recommendation from an IPT endorsed supervisor or trainer or equivalent (i.e. certified supervisor or trainer from another certifying organization) who has observed the applicant’s work and can provide feedback on his or her therapy competencies.
- 150 hours of supervised training.
- Documentation of 16 hours or more of IPT training workshop or other as listed above.
- Attestation of completion of three supervised cases representing early, middle and late sessions, verified by an ISIPT endorsed supervisor.
- Letter from supervisor describing quality of IPT clinical skills.
*Requirements are for the September 2021 submission process. Eligibility requirements are subject to change in future certification periods.
Maintenance of Certification
- All therapists will need to recertify every five years.
- Applications must be submitted through the ISIPT.org website.
- Therapists due to recertify will be sent a reminder of their recertification one year prior to the end date of their certification.
- Therapists are required to submit documentation of 40 hours of IPT training over the past five years that have helped maintain IPT skills, knowledge and experience since certification.
- Therapists must have maintained their membership in ISIPT over the previous five years.
- Therapists must have maintained their professional license or credentials.
- Application will be made online. There will be two application periods annually, dates TBD.
- Payment for certification will be required at the time of submission. Regardless of the outcome of the application, no refunds will be offered.
- Full application will be reviewed by the ISIPT Certification Committee.
- Notification to candidate will occur 8-12 weeks after the submission deadline.
- Therapist Certification: $250 USD
- Fee Waivers may be offered to therapists from World Bank Lower-Middle and Lower Income countries by written request to firstname.lastname@example.org