- ISIPT membership required; must be renewed annually to maintain certification.
- Current utilization of IPT in clinical, academic or research practices.
- Already certified as an IPT therapist (*see below).
- Applicant has an identifiable track record of providing IPT supervision which includes a minimum of supervising four different clinicians.
- Completion of specific supervisor’s training, mentoring, academic course, self-study, or training through a research project that covered the core competencies and adherence elements of IPT supervision where available.
- Cover letter no longer than two pages providing rationale for applying for ISIPT Supervisor Certification.
- Image of a government or organization issued identification.
- Proof of completion of didactic training and supervision as an IPT therapist
- Letter of recommendation from another IPT trainer or supervisor who has observed the applicant’s supervisory work and can provide feedback on supervision competencies and method of evaluating supervision competencies. (Note: the letter from your mentor should be sufficiently detailed to allow the committee to assess your competency as an IPT supervisor).
- Proof of completed didactic IPT supervision training if available.
- Written documentation of your supervisory work as stated above in the criteria (number of supervisees, dates of supervision, particular client/patient population, group or individual supervision, setting, method of evaluating supervisee’s IPT competencies (recordings, observations, case discussion).
- Whenever possible, a letter from (at least one) supervisee, i.e., psychologist, nurse, psychiatry resident, social work student and specifics of any IPT adaptations utilized (IPT-A, IPC, IPT-PTSD are some examples) documenting successful IPT supervision. If not possible, please explain.
Maintenance of Certification
- Supervisors will need to recertify every five years.
- Applications can be submitted online through the ISIPT member portal.
- Supervisors due to recertify will be sent a reminder of their recertification one year prior to the end date of their certification.
- Supervisors are required to submit documentation of 40 hours of supervision of at least three supervisees over the last five years or a minimum of eight hours of supervisor trainings, or a minimum of eight hours of training workshops, consultations, webinars, etc. that have helped maintain supervising skills, knowledge and experience since initial certification.
- Supervisors must have maintained membership in ISIPT over the previous five years.
- Supervisors must have maintained professional license or credentials.
- Application will be made online. There will be annual application period(s), date(s) TBD posted on www.interpersonalpsychotherapy.org.
- Payment for re-certification will be required at the time of submission. Regardless of the outcome of the application, no refunds will be offered.
- Full application will be reviewed by the ISIPT Certification Committee.
- Notification to candidate will occur 8-12 weeks after the submission deadline.
Fees (following final round of legacied certification)
- Supervisor Certification only $300 USD. If applying for Supervisor and Trainer Certification concurrently the fee is $450 USD.
- Fee waivers may be offered to therapists from World Bank Lower-Middle and Lower Income countries by written request to email@example.com.
*Note: For a limited time, applicants who are not certified IPT therapist and who meet ISIPT therapist certification criteria can apply for therapist certification concomitantly for an additional $50.00 USD. After this period, applicants will be expected to be certified IPT therapist before applying for supervisor certification.